04 Nov Top 5 tips to treat a cold naturally
Last week my 14 month old got a cold and unfortunately I woke up on Friday morning with a sore throat. This is always how a cold starts for me. The last cold I got was at the end of April. I asked in a facebook group for breastfeeding mums what I should take and was given lots of suggestions including garlic, lemon, zinc, olive leaf extract, vitamin C, horseradish and cold and flu tablets without codeine. I didn’t want anything to effect my milk supply. I tried some of these suggestions and bought some cold and flu tablets that the pharmacist said was ok for breastfeeding but they didn’t work. My cold ended up turning into really painful sinusitis. Even my jaw hurt. I was desperate to get better for our mid-May trip to Hawaii so I ended up taking antibiotics.Something I hate doing unless absolutely necessary. Shortly after this I was introduced to essential oils and my world changed. 🙂
This is the second cold I’ve had since breastfeeding. I am so grateful we have our certified pure therapeutic grade essential oils to be able to treat this cold naturally and effectively. I am so glad it hasn’t turned into sinusitis again and am so happy to share what worked for me so that if you are in the same situation you can be prepared. Here are my top 5 tips to treat a cold naturally.
- At the first sign of a sore throat gargle with OnGuard. Add 1 drop to a shot glass of water and gargle. OnGuard, the protective blend, is comprised of Wild Orange, Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus & Rosemary. It supports the body’s natural antioxidant defenses and is an effective alternative to synthetic options for immune support.* Clove contains powerful antioxidant properties. Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus & Rosemary are all antibacterial & antiviral essential oils. I also like to have the OnGuard throat drops throughout the day.
- Add a drop of Oregano, Lemon & Frankincense to a veggie capsule and take every morning. Oregano is an amazing top shelf antibacterial essential oil. Lemon essential oil is high in antioxidants and Frankincense is an enhancer as well as supports the immune system. You can buy veggie caps from doTERRA and then fill up with olive oil. I used to add Oregano to a glass of water but it is a very hot, powerful oil so I don’t recommend this anymore.
- Flush your nose out with a Sinus Rinse. The saline solution ruptures the bacterias cell membrane. Or if possible go for a swim in the ocean. You can also use a neti-pot. Do this multiple times a day.
- Apply an ‘Immune Bomb’ roller topically to the soles of your feet, back of your neck and down your spine multiple times a day. My ‘immune bomb’ is a a 10ml rollerbottle made of 1 drop of each of Oregano, Frankincense, OnGuard, Lemon, Tea Tree & Manuka essential oils. Topped up with fractionated coconut oil. They are all amazing immune supporting oils. Within 30 seconds of applying the oils topically they are in your bloodstream.
- Diffuse a mix of EasyAir & OnGuard. EasyAir is the respiratory blend. It is a blend of Peppermint, Laurel, Eucalyptus, Tea tree, Lemon, Ravensara & Cardamon essential oils. It maintains feelings of clear airways and easy breathing.* I like to diffuse this both in our main living area and at nighttime in the bedroom.
I use and recommend dōTERRA essential oils. They are the most potent and pure oils in the market. I like to know (especially when I am sick) that I am using the best quality essential oils to ensure the maximum therapeutic value of the oils. Unfortunately 75% of the essential oils on the market are synthetic and some oils sold at health food stores are labelled as natural but also contain multipurpose liquid. What is that?! No thanks. For me I only like using the best quality products. After struggling with infertility for 4 years I try to minimise my exposure to hormone disrupting chemicals. I know that each batch of dōTERRA essential oils is third party tested to ensure they are free from contaminants, pesticides and fillers. These oils are extremely concentrated. They are 50-70 times more powerful than herbs. 1 drop of Peppermint essential oil is equivalent to 28 cups of tea. Because they are so pure makes some of them suitable for internal use. You will notice above that only 1 drop of oil is needed for gargling & adding to water. I like to add 5 drops to my diffuser. So a little goes a long way. Each 15ml bottle of essential oil contains 250 drops. This article explains why I love dōTERRA.
In addition to using essential oils as natural solutions for my health, I have been using them in cooking, cleaning, personal care products & to boost my immunity, mood & emotions. If you would like to create your own home remedies kit so you are prepared to treat yourself with natural solutions, I recommend the Home Essentials Kit. It is a fantastic kit to get started using essential oils. Not only will you be empowered with all the oils mentioned above in my 5 top tips plus you will also receive Peppermint, Lemon, Tea Trea, IceBlue, DigestZen, Lavender & a diffuser. With these oils you will be all set to treat most conditions naturally. I have written about how I use the oils to boost our immunity and treat childhood conditions. Essential oils give me natural remedies for myself and my family so I don’t have to feel guilty giving myself or my baby antibiotics. This article explains how to buy the oils at wholesale prices and some of the enrolment kits available. If you have any questions please send me a message or leave a comment. I LOVE answering questions about oils.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.